Monday, December 5, 2011

Great Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRps78mdzzE

I choose "When You Were Young" by The Killers for an embedded song that describes The Great Gatsby, and this song describes the book flawlessly.  It actually really excites me that I found a song that matches so closely to the novel.  The specific part of The Great Gatsby that The Killers sing about is Gatsby dreaming about the progression of Daisy and his love.  Gatsby tells Nick Carraway the story of his first and only love.  It is a beautiful story, and Gatsby shows that he has nearly lived his entire life trying to find and win back Daisy.  I can imagine the music video staring Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan.  I can't type fast enough to get all my ideas down.

The way I pieced together the song and the book is that Gatsby and Daisy were in love when they were young, but they grew up and have different lives.  Well Daisy has a different life.  Gatsby sort of stalks Daisy.  The song talks about the memories of being young and how you imagine things differently.  Gatsby does this all the time.  Throughout the song I imagine Daisy sitting on a stool while Tom stands by a corner in deep thought.  They are both unhappy and they now it.  Gatsby then rolls by the Buchanans house in his expensive yellow car and both he and Daisy look up.  Right now I'm still really excited and suspect that The Killers wrote this song about Gatsby's and Daisy's love.  Maybe I'm just imagining things(It's 12:24p.m.) ,but I will never be able to listen to this song again without The Great Gatsby music video rolling through my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment