Thursday, February 23, 2012

Boring

In the beginning I thought that Langsten Hughues would be capable of writing poetry that catches my interest.  However, after reading The Dream Keeper I realize i was wrong.  I thought that reading some poetry would help with the assignment that was being assigned to our class at the time.  The assignment was to write poetry.  My initial intentions was to pick up on some of the habits that an esteemed poet must posses.  However, as I read the first few poems I realized that if I emulate Hughes I would be deemed a mega racist. To understand how racist Hughes really is the reader simply has to change the black derogatory words, symbols, and phrases to white terms.

The Negro
I am a Negro(Cracker):
Black(White) as the night(sun) is black(white),
Black(White) like the depths of my Africa(Confederacy).

Oh...
Yea...
The Dream Keeper just became the most racist book ever.
Did Hitler write it?
Nope!

And that is just the first stanza of one poem.  This is a major double standard that ssociety allows.



VS

1 comment: