Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Poetry taken to the next level

custom image

For this post I used a website called imagechef to take on of Hughes poems and make it appealing to look at as well as read.  I choose "Song for a Banjo Dance".  This poem sounds like it would be sung in a racially segregated bar down by the river.  An old woman with missing teeth might be singing the words in a course voice while a young black man does some sort of jig or dance to the beat.  This is the image that is conjured in my head while I read this book.  It doesn't even sound like it should be in a poetry collection.  When I think of poetry I think of the likes of Longfellow and Whitman.  Of course those two talk about different subjects in their poems, but Hughes wrote a song which is different than any poem I've ever read,

2 comments:

  1. Wow Alex, this is really cool. Just by looking at the diction in your "imagechef", I am really intrigued by this poem. "Song for a Banjo Dance"- it seems like a song that should be sung by a "good ole southern black boy."

    ReplyDelete