Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Truth

After reading Langston Hughes poetry I have decided that it was a big waste of my time.  There are three reasons that I do not like his poetry.  1) I'm not African American.  Yea that's the truth.  All of his poems are geared toward a culturally different way of life.  The language and that he uses don't connect with me and make me laugh. 2) My favorite poem is called "Baby" and it is the most ridiculous piece of writing I have ever read.  When I read it, the first thing that came to my mind was, "What if I had attempted to write this during the poetry emulations?"  The answer?  I suspect that Mrs. Hayes would be angry because I wasn't taking the homework seriously.  However, Hughes writes it and it becomes part of a famous collection of poems. 3) Finally, I wish I had picked a better book to read.  I finished the book in three days and realized that I hated it and would have nothing to talk about while blogging.  Well somehow I managed to finish.  Now for the fourth quarter I hope there is some book on the list that I over looked the first three quarters that can hold my interest.

4 comments:

  1. It seems to me like you didn't understand what you were reading. Yes, Langston Hughes did gear his poetry towards African Americans but that doesn't mean you can't appriciate it... or maybe you just don't have a clue what you're reading. "Baby" is actually a very deep, complex poem. I seriously don't think you could write anything with that much meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alex,
    I am offended by the way you talk about my poetry young man. My poetry is for everyone.

    Sincerely, Langston Hughes

    ReplyDelete